Fairytale Legends: Hansel and Gretel Slot
Fairytale Legends: Hansel and Gretel is a 5-reel, fixed 10-pay line online slot from NetEnt. It's the second release from the software gaming giants in their 'Fairytale Legends' series, following 'Little Red Riding Hood' a few months ago. The fairy tale under consideration this time is of course, Hansel and Gretel. In case you need a reminder, this is a story in which a young brother and sister are abandoned to perish in the woods by their parents, but instead stumble across a candy house in the forest – the downside being that it's owned by a cannibalistic witch. The tale is thought to be German in origin, and was transcribed by the Brothers Grimm in the early 1800s. The story has a happy ending – the 'about to be oven-roasted' Gretel tricks the witch into climbing into an oven, and the pair return to their family have stolen all the ex-witch's worldly possessions.
This slot is more about candies than cooking. A very handsome Hansel and a cute Gretel are joined on the reels by four coloured candies – red, yellow, green and purple. There are ten pay lines in total, and that's a fixed number, so you have ten pay lines in play upon every spin. You can select your bet level, though. This is effectively the number of coins you risk with each spin. You can also choose the size of your coin from 0.01 to 2.00. Your final wager is 10 x your bet level x the chosen value of your coin. When you're ready to go hunt some candy, hit the spin button.
Payout & bonus rounds
Payouts in normal play commence at four hundred coins for five of the 'Fairytale Legends' logo. The lowest payout is for three identical candy symbols on one of the pay lines from the left hand reel onwards. Achieving this will win you five coins.
Stacked wild symbols look like paths and appear on reels two and four, plus reels one and five during the 'stacked wild re-spin' feature. When a stacked wild symbol lands and covers the entire reel, a stacked wild re-spin is awarded.
There are three random features, as follows:
- Fairy Wonder Spin: A cluster of five to nine FL logo symbols appear as an wild overlay on the reels for one spin.
- Fairy Surprise: If no win lands, this random feature will select one symbol. Other symbols will then turn into this symbol until a win is triggered.
- Fairy Wild Spin: Two full stacks of wilds appear randomly on all reels but the middle reel. After all wins have been paid, a stacked wild re-spin is awarded.
A treasure chest acts as the bonus symbol. You need to land three – one each on reels one, three and five – to trigger one of three bonus features:
- Candy House Bonus: You pick three candies, each of which contains a prize multiplier. The multipliers are not revealed until you have made all three choices. You can make your choice out of the three, or choose a guaranteed multiplier which is typically much less than the largest available, but much bigger than the smallest.
- Free Spins: You win ten free spins.
- Coin Win: You win a coin win of fifteen times your current bet value.
This is another wonderful game from NetEnt. The gameplay is varied and entertaining, and the graphics and sound effects are up there with the best of NetEnt's offerings. A thoroughly enchanting slot in every way.