Centurion (full title – Centurion Maximus Winnus) is a 5-reel, fixed 20-pay line slot from Inspired. This is yet another Roman-themed game, inspired perhaps by titles such as Gladiator, Caesar's Empire and Golden Rome. A Centurion was of course a professional Roman soldier. They were so called because as part of their working day they were required to command a 'centuria' which meant a unit of around one hundred men. Only the very best soldiers even got to become Centurions, and it was well worth it apparently as they got shed loads of pay in comparison to other army grunts. The only downside to being a Centurion was that they were expected to 'lead from the front' when it came to a bit of ancient fisticuffs, and so they led their men into battle at the head of their column.
The symbols in this game are all Centurion-inspired of course – a Centurion helmet, a shield crossed with swords, a coin, the Centurion logo and two Centurions handling a horse-drawn carriage. Also on the reels are the playing card values jack, queen and ace. There are twenty pay lines and all are in play for each spin. Your stake-per-line can be anything from 0.01 to 12.50, and this is multiplied by twenty to arrive at your total wager. When you're ready to do as Roman slots fan do, hit the 'Spin' button.
Payout & bonus rounds
Payout & bonus rounds
The lowest winning payout is 4x your bet-per-line for three jacks, queens or kings. The biggest payout in normal play is 500x your line bet for five Centurion logos.
A golden laurel wreath on a red background acts as the wild symbol in this game. It substitutes for all other symbols aside from the bonus symbol.
The bonus symbol is the Centurion with the word 'Bonus' written beneath him. If you land three bonus symbols anywhere on the reels you win access to the bonus game.
Occassionally during play the Centurion will pop out from beneath a bush and pound a tune out of a trumpet. When he does, one of two features will be unlocked:
- Reelius Maximus: Three of the reels will change into one huge, single reel. This will spin slowly to reveal a single symbol. This symbol then acts as if it was a 3×3 symbol along with the rest of the grid.
- 5 Reel Wins: When the reels stop you are guaranteed a five reel win.
When you land the bonus there are four games you can play. The one you play is selected at random.
- Prizes on Parade: You select multipliers at random. You can also make it through to more lucrative options if you choose right.
- Caesar Free Spins: Caesar grants you a fixed number of free spins along with a randomly-awarded multiplier.
- Road to Rome: Roll the dice as you journey towards the capital, gathering payouts along the way.
- Wild Power Spins: Extra wilds are added to the reels, giving you more chance of victory.
On the surface, Centurion looks to be a very simple, very old fashioned game. Beneath the surface lurks something of a slight classic, with lots of lovely bonus features to keep slots fan entertained. You don't just have to take our word for is as well – this slot was nominated for "Game of the Year" at the 2015 EGR Operator Awards, but was nudged out in the end by NetEnt's 'Spiñata Grande'.
More about slots
Begin by learning the terminology & anatomy of slot games
Read up on the developers who design and distribute slot games
Discover how to get slot games on your mobile device!
Learn about free spins and where you can obtain them