Avalon II Slot
Avalon II (The Quest for the Grail) is a 5 reel, 243 pay line slot from Microgaming. It's also the sequel to their popular 2008 release 'Avalon'. Both games are centred around Arthurian legend (Avalon is a legendary island where the sword Excalibur was forged, and where King Arthur had some chillaxing time after being wounded in the Battle of Camlann). For this second game in the series Microgaming have upped the ante considerably with much improved graphics from the original, and a number of nice bonus games. All the symbols used in this game are associated with Arthurian legend, including the Holy Grail itself. Unfortunately, the 'Knights who say "Ni!"' do not make an appearance, but playing card values nine to ace do.
This slot is one of those easy-to-play games as there are 243 pay lines. You start your own quest for treasures by selecting your coin size from 0.01 to 0.20, and the number of coins you want to gamble for each spin from one to five. Your bet-per-line is automatically multiplied by thirty as payment for all 243 lines. The object of the slot is of course to land at least three identical symbols on a pay line, and the more the merrier! Once you're ready to go questing, hit the 'Spin' button.
Payout & bonus rounds
Payouts commence at 4x your coin size for three nines and tens. The jackpot is 2,000x your bet-per-line for five 'Avalon II' symbols.
The Avalon II symbol also acts as the wild symbol in this game. It substitutes for all symbols aside from the Holy Grail and Lady of the Lake symbols, and comes stacked in threes.
Hold on to your helmets are we talk you through the bonus games. You are on the quest to recover the Holy Grail and the further you progress, more bonus games become available:
- Lake of Legend – roll the dice to reforge Excalibur. If you roll all six possible numbers in ten rolls you win 15x your total bet.
- Misty Vale – Fifteen free spins and you choose a character to become an extra wild with a 2x multiplier
- Whispering Woods – Choose from five shields to amass prize multipliers
- Forest Falls – Twenty free spins with 'Trailing Wilds' that create a trail of wilds as they slide down the reels
- Dusky Moors – Match helms to earn a multiplier – the more you match, the bigger the multiplier becomes
- Morgan's Keep – Twenty free spins with rolling reels – each rolling reel win increases a prize multiplier up to 6x
- Hall of Shadows – Defeat the dreaded Black Knight to recover the grail. Each hit awards you an extra prize
- Isle of Avalon – Spin the 'Wheels of Avalon' to reveal your win. You could unlock the bonus wheel for even bigger prizes!
In addition to all this fun and games, the Wizard Merlin may appear during play to award a random cash prize or multiplier. Also liable to making a guest appearance is the Lady of the Lake who appears occasionally on the middle reel to become an expanding wild.
There's certainly a lot to play for when it comes to Avalon II, and the bonus features turn what could have been a very humdrum game into something quite spectacular. The graphics are wonderful too, and you'll have a lot of fun as you undertake your quest for both the grail and some magical cash jackpots. No doubt, Avalon II is one of Microgaming's best.